Friday, February 22, 2013
February 22, 2013
Genesis 25:29-34
One day Jacob was cooking a stew. Esau came in from the field, starved. Esau said to Jacob, “Give me some of that red stew—I’m starved!” That’s how he came to be called Edom (Red).
Jacob said, “Make me a trade: my stew for your rights as the firstborn.”
Esau said, “I’m starving! What good is a birthright if I’m dead?”
Jacob said, “First, swear to me.” And he did it. On oath Esau traded away his rights as the firstborn. Jacob gave him bread and the stew of lentils. He ate and drank, got up and left. That’s how Esau shrugged off his rights as the firstborn.
Reflection questions: What do you think about Esau trading away his birthright to inherit all his father’s property (in the future) for some food (right now)? What do you think about his brother Jacob refusing to feed him unless he trades away his birthright? How does this remind you of any situations you’ve had with your brothers or sisters? What do you think God is saying in this story?
Matthew 8:10-12
Jesus said, “I’ve yet to come across this kind of simple trust in Israel, the very people who are supposed to know all about God and how he works. This man is the vanguard of many outsiders who will soon be coming from all directions—streaming in from the east, pouring in from the west, sitting down at God’s kingdom banquet alongside Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Then those who grew up ‘in the faith’ but had no faith will find themselves out in the cold, outsiders to grace and wondering what happened.”
Reflection questions: Jesus was talking about the faith of a Roman soldier, whose trust in God exceeded the trust shown by the people of Israel who had grown up knowing they were God’s people. But what do you think this passage might be saying about the church today? How can we be more welcoming to “outsiders” who grew up outside the church or come from other churches? What can we learn from them?
To add a comment, click below where it says "no comments" or "1 comment" or however many it says currently.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
At first I think of jacob as mean but then realize he's clever. I learned in bio of sneaky competition where while two people are arguing anither comes behind the curtains and takes the victory. Jacob did this he was to prepare food. I dont quite remember an instance with siblings. But I do think. If times where I had to choose a one of three it. . Esch item had its own benifit and worked differently. Choosing one world somehow make some nearby challenge easier to face... I think god is saying be prepared for random outcomes and strikes of luck.
ReplyDeleteThe second passage makes me think of "your world taken for granted" we faik as individuals to knotice whars around us regurlarly friends for instance after a few month you stop asking them questions about them selves. Outsiders will gather for a common interest or cause. If church isnt it find a new one. we can learn different ways to do things